For admission in the Fall semester, the deadline for receipt of all application materials is December 1st. Applications received after this date will be considered as space permits.
For admission in the Spring semester, the deadline for receipt of all application materials is the preceding September 1st. Applications received after this date will be considered as space permits.
If the application deadline falls on a weekend, applications are due the next work day.
How to apply for admission
The application process consists of two components: (A) an application to Graduate Division, and (B) supplemental materials specific to the Department of Linguistics. Be sure to complete both components fully.
A. Apply for admission to the Graduate Division
General Information about the Graduate Division’s requirements can be found on their Website for Prospective Students. You may apply to the Graduate Division either online or by paper application.
You will need to provide the following set of documents to the Graduate Division:
1. Application form and appropriate fee;
2. One official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs sent directly from the institution to the Graduate Division;
3. Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report is required (for international applicants, as well as some immigrant and US applicants). Our program requires a minimum TOEFL score of 600/100 (paper/internet), with subtest scores of 25 for listening and 25 for speaking for admissibility and for waiver of English Language Institute (ELI) placement tests. We also accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of seven in place of the minimum TOEFL scores. TOEFL or IELTS scores cannot be more than two years old;
4. Verification of financial status (for international applicants).
B. Submit supplemental materials specific to the Department of Linguistics
Use the Graduate Application Supplemental Documents Upload Website to submit the following supporting documentation that is specific to the Department of Linguistics. Visit this tutorial for more information on using the Supplemental Documents Upload Website. Be sure to submit everything as PDF.
2. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation:
a. Use the Supplemental Documents Upload Website to request letters of recommendation. The Graduate Division will send the request to your letter writers and give them a link for submitting their letters.
b. Download the Department of Linguistics Letter of Recommendation Form [PDF]. Sign the waiver and email it to your letter writers. Ask them to use this form to submit their letters of recommendation.
3. GRE scores (no more than 5 years old). An unofficial score report for the GRE (and if required, TOEFL or IELTS) is acceptable at the time of application, but admitted students will be required to submit official score reports in order to enroll.
4. A sample of your academic writing, such as a seminar paper. This must be in English or ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi.
E-mail email@example.com or call (808) 956-8602.