For admission in the Fall semester, the deadline for receipt of all application materials is December 1st. Applications received after this date will be considered as space permits.
For admission in the Spring semester, the deadline for receipt of all application materials is the preceding September 1st. Applications received after this date will be considered as space permits.
If the application deadline falls on a weekend, applications are due the next work day.
Western Regional Graduate Program
We are happy to announce that starting with students entering in Fall 2020, the Department of Linguistics at UH participates in the Western Region Graduate Program. Graduate Students who are residents of WICHE states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Guam or the Northern Mariana Islands) with a baccalaureate grade point average of 3.0 or higher will receive reduced tuition at 150% of Hawaiʻi resident tuition.
How to apply for admission
The application process consists of two components: (A) an application to Graduate Division, and (B) supplemental materials specific to the Department of Linguistics. Be sure to complete both components fully.
A. Apply for admission to the Graduate Division
General Information about the Graduate Division’s requirements can be found on their Website for Prospective Students. You may apply to the Graduate Division either online or by paper application.
You will need to provide the following set of documents to the Graduate Division:
1. Application form and appropriate fee;
2. One official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs sent directly from the institution to the Graduate Division;
3. Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report is required (for international applicants, as well as some immigrant and US applicants). Our program requires a minimum TOEFL score of 94 (internet-based test), with subtest scores of 25 for listening and 25 for speaking for admissibility and for waiver of English Language Institute (ELI) placement tests. We also accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of seven in place of the minimum TOEFL scores. TOEFL or IELTS scores cannot be more than two years old;
4. Verification of financial status (for international applicants).
B. Submit supplemental materials specific to the Department of Linguistics
Use the Graduate Application Supplemental Documents Upload Website to submit the following supporting documentation that is specific to the Department of Linguistics. Visit this tutorial for more information on using the Supplemental Documents Upload Website. Be sure to submit everything as PDF.
2. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation:
a. We recommend using the Supplemental Documents Upload Website to request letters of recommendation. Graduate Division will send the request to your letter writers and provide them a link for submitting their letters.
b. If any of your letter writers have trouble loading their letter of recommendation onto the Supplemental Documents Website, another option is to Download the Department of Linguistics Letter of Recommendation Form [PDF]. After signing the waiver, you may send it to the appropriate letter writers. Upon completion, they can email it to the email@example.com address. Some letter writers may prefer not to use the form and will instead provide their letter of recommendation on their company’s letterhead. This option also works.
GRE scores (no more than 5 years old). An unofficial score report for the GRE (and if required, TOEFL or IELTS) is acceptable at the time of application, but admitted students will be required to submit official score reports in order to enroll. GRE requirement waived for Spring 2021 admission and until further notice.
4. A sample of your academic writing, such as a seminar paper. This must be in English or ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (808) 956-8602.